During Covid-19, socializing face-to-face was made incredibly difficult. Though everyone suffered from a lack of interaction, two groups that possibly felt it most were children and seniors, considering these two stages in life are usually high in active socializing....
Any big decision implies an investment and plenty of preparation. Planning a vacation, for example, requires thinking about where you want to go, where you’re going to stay and how much it will all cost, on a small scale. A well-organized trip leaves you lots of space...
There are many interesting sports you can do when reaching your golden years. Biking, trekking and walking are just a few examples. But, if you’re a competitive and playful folk, tennis might be the best option for you! Let’s check out some of its main benefits....
Dogs are social and affectionate animals that adore human company, great for a retiree who wants to receive and give love. Also, they are proved to be great for one’s emotional and physical health. A walk in the park with a dog can change your mood for the rest of...
Buying a house is a life changing event, which some people can’t even afford, especially youngsters. That is why it is such a difficult decision to make. There are expectations that need to be met because an investment entails a future profit. However, after 2008,...
Can someone younger than 55 live in a 55+ Community?
Have you been considering the idea of living in an active adult community? You may have gathered that these places tend to be calm, secure and harmonious neighborhoods, though it’s important to be informed about the specific regulations of ‘55+’ communities:
- 80% of the occupied residences in the community must be of people over 55 years old.
- The community must establish policies and procedures evidencing its intent to maintain the 55+ status.
- The community must consistently follow those policies.
This means that anyone living in the home of a 55+ community should be no younger than the minimum age established for the community. These rules typically require one member of the household to be 55+, while the spouse, partner, or roommate to be at least 40 years old, and children living in the home must be at least 18, though this may vary depending on the state and community.
Now, this does not mean that you can’t have people younger than the minimum age visit. For example, if your grandchildren come to visit, this is allowed but with some restrictions – most communities allow guests of any age for up to 15 days twice per year.
The lucky 20
Thought most working adults are not interested or ready to live in this kind of community, there are always exceptions to the rule. Besides, some people may be 50 years old and eager to initiate your retirement process!
The Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA) of 1995 establishes the previously mentioned guidelines for age-restricted communities, meaning that if at least 80% of an age-restricted community is 55 or older, the remaining 20% can be made up by those younger.
While some retirement communities do fill up on occasion, most have some open space. If you’re keen on being part of a community like this, there should be no reason to be denied your entrance and stay, unless they’re close to the 80/20 threshold.
If you are over 55, or have the chance to be part of that lucky 20%, there are still other possible restrictions that can limit your entrance to these communities. Some of these have income restrictions, or even communal living rules that must be followed (e.g. visiting hours), which might lead to eviction if not followed.
If you want to have the wonderful experience of living in a 55+ adult living community and still have some questions, don’t hesitate and contact us! Our team will be happy to help.